Skip to main content

Thoughts on Final Fantasy II

Some time ago, I began a journey to complete the first six Final Fantasy games, playing the Pixel Remaster versions. I wrote about this recently. I had already completed Final Fantasy and was well on my way to completing Final Fantasy II when I started this blog. My intention was to provide some thoughts on the game as I progressed. I was so close to the end, however, that I decided to wait until finishing the game to post about it. I am happy to report that I finished Final Fantasy II last night and I do have some thoughts to share about this polarizing, yet important entry in the series. 

The biggest change that I noticed between Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II was the lack of character classes and the progession system. All characters could do anything and how much they used a particular kind of weapon or cast spells improved those abilities. I found myself empowering all of my characters with magic spells and each specializing in a specific kind of weapon. It worked out well for the style of play I approached this game with but my understanding is that this was a divisive design decision. Final Fantasy II is the only game to employ this style of progression. The implementation was not perfect but I liked it. 

Another difference from the first game is stronger storytelling. Final Fantasy II has a more cinematic, complex story than the first game and though the series, and the entire RPG genre, surpassed this game's storytelling by leaps and bounds it is impressive for a game first published in Japan in 1988. I also found myself getting attached to the protagonists who are not generic hero avatars like the first game but have their own names and personalities. Firion, Maria, and Guy travel the kingdom in an effort to save it, bonded by loss and a sense of duty to stop an evil emperor. The fourth member of the party is filled by a rotating cast of characters who each have motives and personalities that gave them unique charm as well as put their own signature on the story. I couldn't help but think that the story and characters could get a whole new appreciation if Final Fantasy II got a full, modern remake treatment. Unlikely to happen but I would welcome it. 

Final Fantasy II is notable in Final Fantasy history for having the first proper appearance of a character named Cid, whom you meet early on to take a flight on his airship. Fans of the series know that a Cid character shows up in most Final Fantasy games. Another staple of the Final Fantasy series are the chocobo, flightless birds that are often used as mounts. They can be ridden for the first time here in Final Fantasy II.

I had a fun time with Final Fantasy II and while I understand why it falls to the bottom of so many ranked Final Fantasy game lists I think it should be appreciated for being a sequel that tried new ideas to expand the idea of what Final Fantasy can be. The series has never been shy about breaking its own conventions and that was apparent all the way back to the first sequel. 

Next up, Final Fantasy III.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...