Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Final Fantasy

I previously wrote about how Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) on NES was my first real introduction to roleplaying games. There was another game on NES that offered a similar, but more expansive experience, that I also enjoyed and ended up following as it became one of the biggest franchises in video games. I am talking, of course, about Final Fantasy. 

Final Fantasy resembled Dragon Quest in some ways but with managing a party of characters instead of a single protagonist, offering character classes that each had their speciality abilities and traits, travel by boats and airships, a larger variety of monsters and puzzles, and (in my opinion) a more compelling story, it stood out as something special. I played this game on NES and several times over the years as Square Enix re-released the game on newer consoles and handhelds. It was always a joy to explore but I admit I never even came close to finishing the game. I would play until another game stole my attention or the game reached a point of difficulty I couldn’t overcome and I moved on. 

A few years ago, the original six Final Fantasy games were given a “Pixel Remaster” that put more polish on the graphics and provided some quality of life gameplay updates. I bought the Pixel Remaster bundle on iOS and have made it a goal to play through all six games. Armed with my Backbone controller connected to my iPhone, I started my journey with, of course, Final Fantasy. 

It took me some 35 years but I completed Final Fantasy in its entirety this time! I am glad I did because this classic holds up well. The gameplay is simplistic compared to what you’ll find in RPGs today, of course, but there is depth here. Building your party for success by choosing classes, equipment, and spells can be fun and rewarding. Combat is the familiar turn-based, menu-driven affair that RPGs are known for. It is easy to figure out and never feels clunky. In short, it is a solid foundation for a series of games that continues to leave an indelible mark on the video game world. 

I could go into an in-depth review of Final Fantasy but I won’t. There are literal decades of reviews out there. Even the Pixel Remaster version of the game has been covered well. I wanted to write this to touch on what aspects of Final Fantasy stood out to me after all these years and how it has helped inform my approach to running tabletop roleplaying games. 

I appreciate the premise of a simple story. The game opens with an ominous event. The crystals that control the four elements (earth, wind, fire, and water) went dark and over time the unrestrained elements cause chaos across the world. A prophecy says that four “Warriors of Light” will come to save the world (that’s you). You have four darkened crystal shards and your goal is to return light to them, bringing order back to the elements. I won’t spoil the story even though we are talking about a game that is just shy of its 40th anniversary but I appreciated the pacing of Final Fantasy’s story. You know why you are on this quest from the start even if you don’t know how you will accomplish your goal or where it will take you. It seems obvious but telling players up front what they are in for provides immediate engagement. This is something I want to keep in mind before running a tabletop RPG campaign. Give the players a clear idea of what concern looms large and what role they play in resolving it.

Final Fantasy’s gameplay loop involves solving some kind of localized issue in a town or region which leads the Warriors of Light entering a dungeon to defeat a foe or gain a new puzzle item critical to furthering advancement in the journey. The game’s frequent delve into dungeons combined with my recent interest in tabletop RPGs that bring back the classic dungeon crawling experience like Shadowdark RPG and MCDM’s upcoming Crows inspires me to want to build my own dungeons. Final Fantasy does not present dungeons in the problem solving, methodical way that Shadowdark does. It instead presents labyrinthine dungeons that test your abilities through random encounters with monsters. You can try to get in an out as quickly as possible but if you are up for exploring you can find treasures worth your time. Resource management, a staple of a classic dungeon crawl, does come in to play when you choose to take your time and explore. I always appreciated this in RPG video games even if I wasn’t good at that aspect. I think dungeon crawling, today, has its place depending on the game and the scenario you want to subject your players to. Not every game night needs to be a dungeon crawl. I am gaining an appreciation for that style, however, and am up for the challenge of creating dungeons that test players’ abilities to think and solve problems, manage their resources, and maximize their time in the depths of a dungeon. 

I thought a lot about how the party I created for my Final Fantasy adventure worked together. No class is able to do it all like the dude from the first Dragon Quest game. You can assemble any combination of character classes and have a go at it. All fighter, all the time? Go for it. Wizards, wizard, and more wizards? Sure. I went for the classic, balanced combination of fighter, thief, white mage, and black mage. Not much to say here that isn’t already obvious. The fighter does damage and takes a lot in return. The thief is fast, can do a lot of damage, but less hardy than the fighter. The white mage buffs and heals the other party members. The black mage deals serious damage with spells. I knew how to manage these characters from experience but it wasn’t until I got further into the game that I felt myself truly understanding how to approach battles in a way that optimized what my party could do. This got me thinking about the tabletop again. I play D&D regularly with my group of friends and I don’t recall us ever putting much emphasis on trying to make a balanced, well rounded party. For the most part, we play the characters we want to play and make it work. I played with a well rounded party in Final Fantasy but I think about an all red mage party or going with black belts and white mages. The game would change dramatically! This isn’t an observation about running games differently only that I found more appreciation for how a game can change by swapping out some of the characters. 

I could have finished Final Fantasy decades ago but I don’t think I was in the right mindset for it. These days, I find that taking a slow, thoughtful approach to this classic game is not just enjoyable, but dare I say cozy? Yeah, I’m going with cozy. I always admired Final Fantasy but I can now say that I love this game. I look forward to playing it again someday, though I have five more Pixel Remastered Final Fantasy games to work through. I am already two thirds of the way through Final Fantasy II and I intend to post occasional progress updates as I wrap that game up and move on to the rest. 

Thanks for sticking with me to the end of this one. It turned out to be longer than I expected it to be. If you enjoy RPGs and somehow missed the original Final Fantasy, please give a try. It has aged well and taught me a few things about game design that still hold true some 40 years after its release. There is something to said for these foundational games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...