Skip to main content

Final Fantasy III Play Journal Part 1: The Job System

Exploring the original six Final Fantasy games through the Pixel Remaster versions has been a fun exercise and helped me appreciate the risks this series has taken and its influence on role playing games. 

Hot on the heels of completing Final Fantasy II, I began playing, of course, Final Fantasy III. Much like its predecessor, I hadn’t played this one before, though I did recently find Final Fantasy III in my collection of Nintendo DS games. I have no memory of playing it so I must bought it and never got around to it. What a sin. Ah well, I am correcting that now with the Pixel Remaster version. 

The first thing I noticed was that Squaresoft took a step back from the classless progression system of Final Fantasy II and made a game that harkens back to the original Final Fantasy. The difference here is that all of the characters are generic fighters until you complete the first quest and unlock several "jobs" that you can assign to the characters. This is the first appearance of the influential job system that found its way into many more Final Fantasy games as well as other RPGs.

The trick with the job system is not that you assign a job to characters and be done with it. That would be no different than how you build a party in the first Final Fantasy. No, the job system allows you to change a character's job regularly depending on what fits the situation. You can spec your party to be damage dealing, blade wielding fighters with a white mage to heal them for one dungeon and then switch things up to be a spell caster heavy party for the next one. It's a fun system mechanic that ensures you never regret a party setup hours into the game. This keeps the game fresh while adding some challenge and strategy to each new quest. How will you prepare your party and are they setup for success? That is what makes the job system and Final Fantasy III special. 

I have not ventured far enough into the game to unlock more jobs so I am still working with the initial set provided early in the game. I can't wait to find more. I will have more Play Journal articles about my Final Fantasy III experience as I progress so stay tuned. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...