Skip to main content

Polygon - Critical Role’s Daggerheart lets players ‘steer the ship,’ lead designers explain

Polygon has an interview with longtime D&D designers Jeremy Crawford and Christopher Perkins who left Wizard of the Coast to join Darrington Press and work on Daggerheart. This interview doesn't reveal much about Daggerheart that we didn't already know but the theme here is about the game's collaborative storytelling approach. 

Further, I like that Darrington Press is looking at Daggerheart as something of a blank slate for the tabletop RPG industry. What is a Daggerheart adventure, exactly? It could be similar to D&D, sure, but it doesn't need to be. 

“It’s exciting to think about just what a Daggerheart adventure is,” Perkins says. “We literally only have one or two adventures out there in the universe. It's a delightful thought exercise, and one I've never been part of, because D&D adventures are kind of established and codified. Here, we're starting right at the outset with carte blanche, and we are going to take some chances, experiment a little, and see what lands.”

I like the sound of this. It is an encouraging sign of the future for me as someone who absolutely loves Daggerheart. Is it a revolution for the TTRPG industry? I don't know. That's a big question. I do think it brings something unique, refined, and exciting to the table. It will only continue to grow from here on out and that can only be a good thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...