Skip to main content

Answer in Progress: How D&D Accidentally Broke Capitalism

Dungeons & Dragons is a household name and an undoubtedly popular franchise but the financial numbers suggest otherwise. What is going on?

The folks at Answer in Progress tried to answer this and while I don’t completely agree with their assessment I do find this video to be a worthwhile watch for anyone interested in not just D&D but the tabletop RPG industry as a whole.

Personally, I feel that imagination is free and while there is a lot of money to be made selling books, dice, minis, etc. to enhance the experience, it is a niche industry. Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast can make a lot of money on the branding, campaign settings, characters, and perhaps crossovers like the upcoming World of Warcraft and Star Wars content, but the core game requires very little to provide a lifetime of storytelling and adventuring.

A fellow member of The Arcane Library Discord summed this up perfectly. “The industry needs the hobby. The hobby doesn’t need the industry.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...