Skip to main content

Patchwork Paladin: How I learned to stop worrying and love 5e

 I see a recurring theme with modern Dungeons & Dragons where DMs and players alike get frustrated with some aspects of the game and get more frustrated trying to fix it. This often leads to people finding other games that are a better fit for their table. But is D&D just a jumping off point for this hobby or is there more fun to be had with it when you play to its strengths?

Patchwork Paladin has a fantastic article about this that I wanted to share.

Patchwork Paladin:

5.5e D&D is not a game of goblins, orcs, wits, puzzles, and traps. It’s a game where living volcanos throw asteroids at you. It’s a game where the atmosphere turns to acid as you are possessed by the ghost of a nine-hundred year old psychic vampire. It’s a game where you are pursued by invisible, silent fairy hunters across an impossible dimensional landscape coated with diamonds, but still, inevitably, you always win. And probably bring home a pet.

 D&D tries to do everything unlike so many other games that try to do one thing,  or a few things, very well and leave the rest to others. At its heart, though, modern D&D is an epic, heroic fantasy game. It’s not about dungeon survival, it’s about cleaving through hordes of enemies, fearlessly traversing inhospitable landscapes, and conquering the most dangerous of foes. D&D can do it all but it works best when you lean into its strengths. 

Swim with the current and you will go far. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...