Skip to main content

Creativity in Randomness

 Creating characters for roleplaying games can be a fun process regardless of the medium you are playing in. I always enjoy the process of imagining who my latest character will be and watching them come to life. The art of character creation differs from game-to-game, each with their own complexities and flexibility. 

One of my favorite character creation process is in Shadowdark RPG. For those unfamiliar, Shadowdark is a fantasy roleplaying game that revisits the classic dungeon crawling style of play with modern gameplay mechanics. There is a lot to like about the game but one of the first things that caught my attention was the character creation process. It is quick, easy to follow process with a level of randomness that I appreciate.

I was creating some Shadowdark characters the other day and one of the characters went in a direction I didn’t expect. I rolled for stats and, seeing as the highest stat was Dexterity, it made sense to make a character of the Thief class. I continued on with the process and when it was time to choose a background, I rolled for it. My die roll resulted in the “Noble” on the background table. A person of nobility who is also a thief? Who is this???

I didn’t have an immediate answer but I found the combination to be too fun to set aside. Is this someone who was formerly of a noble house, was cast out, and picked up a life of thievery? Are they currently a noble who lives for a little danger and moonlights as a dungeon crawling thief? I don’t know. I am leaning on the latter as it sounds like a fun character. I will make the determination if I ever play this character. 

There is something to like about crafting and controlling every aspect of a character’s creation but I wouldn’t dismiss the opportunities that can present when you roll for it and see what happens. You never know who you’ll end up with and the possibilities are endless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daggerheart: Hope and Fear

  Darrington Press had a big hit with the launch of Daggerheart last year. The game has picked up traction quickly and has outpaced Darrington Press’s own initial expectations. It is a great game that I have run with my friends and family a few times and will be running a campaign at some point down the road.   Daggerheart’s first expansion book, Hope & Fear, launches today and brings with it a treasure trove of new goodies. I preordered Hope & Fear as soon as it was announced and it arrived at my doorstep a few weeks ago. I have read the book and am happy with what Darrington Press has accomplished with it.  (Full disclosure: I have read Hope & Fear but have not yet played in or run a Daggerheart game with the content in the book.) The book itself is full of beautiful artwork from cover-to-cover in a brisk 196 pages. Daggerheart’s Core Book has some fantastic art and that quality continues with Hope & Fear. It strikes a good balance of vibrant, inviting t...

The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero

  LichHouse, one of my favorite YouTube channels about Shadowdark RPG, just published a new video about running a Gauntlet.  For those unfamiliar, a Gauntlet is a special adventure where players prepare four “0 level” characters who try to survive. Whoever makes it out becomes a first level character and become the characters the players will use in a campaign.  I have not run one of these yet but if you appreciate the   random approach to character creation , a Gauntlet is a great way to start characters that way. Watch The Shadowdark Gauntlet: Zero to Hero  

When the Journey Began

My first experience with Dungeons & Dragons was not with pencil, paper, and a handful of dice. I had an Intellivision in the 1980s and one of the games in my collection was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. This game was a TSR-licensed game but did not recreate the tabletop game experience in a faithful way. It also wasn’t a game that my young mind comprehended. I could not figure out how to make sense of the world map, let alone visit a dungeon, so while I had awareness of D&D at a very young age I did not understand what it was.  My first true entry to the RPG genre came a few years later when Nintendo Power magazine offered me a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest). I had seen coverage for Dragon Warrior in Nintendo Power and I admit it had its charm but the menu-driven gameplay was of little interest to me. I only got a few new games a year so taking a chance on this weird game that thematically looked fun but mechanically did not was not something I desired. But a...